Thursday, July 4, 2013

How To Get The Right Baseball Equipment To Succeed During The Season

            Your equipment during a baseball season will become one of the most important things that you have. They should feel natural when you use them. Here I’ll give you some tips on how to choose the correct equipment.


            When you buy your glove, your hand should just slide right in. It should feel like an extension of your hand. You don’t want to pick the first one you see, it should be a process. You don’t always want to pick the flashiest and most expensive glove; you want to pick the glove that feels comfortable because after a few games the glove is going to be dirty anyway, so comfort is the most important thing. You’ll want to buy some things to break in your glove like the foam, or what I did is just leave my glove under the tire of my car over night. You have to do something, it’s impossible to play with a glove that you can’t close with little to no effort, it defeats the whole purpose of getting the right glove.

            You’ll probably want to pick up a pair of batting gloves as well. For some reason some people don’t like to use them, but for me I couldn’t bat without them. They protect you from blisters and help absorb the shock of hitting the ball especially when you hit the ball off the handle of the bat. They’re also pretty fashionable, and you can never go wrong with that, right?

            Next would be your cleats. Depending on your league rules you might be able to wear metal cleats. If you are allowed to, I would recommend picking some up because they get much more traction than rubber cleats and they’re nice for having to run around in those muddy outfields and dirt infields. I think under armour cleats provide the best comfort, but again it’s whatever feels best for you, that’s the most important thing.

            Lastly would be your bat. Bats are pretty expensive, and teams will usually provide these, so you don’t necessarily have to buy your own. However, knowing what size and weight bat you use is very important. The first couple of games I tried out different weights and lengths until I finally found the bat I liked which was 33 inches and 30 ounces. Your bat should be as big and as heavy that you can use while still being able to get good bat speed. If you feel like it’s slowing you down in any way then it’s too heavy. Just like your glove, your bat should feel like an extension of your arms. I like to swing two bats when I’m in the on deck circle so that when I’m up bat the bat feels feather light, like it’s an extension of my arms. So bats should just be trial and error until you find that one that feels just right.

            Your equipment is like your extended family during your baseball career. You have to have confidence that it will hold up in clutch situations, and it has to become a part of you as you play the game. Thank you for reading, it is very much appreciated, and be sure to check out my other posts for ways to improve your overall baseball game.


-Brandon

No comments:

Post a Comment