Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Why Setting Baseball Goals Can Help You Improve During Your Season

            Before every season I always set a baseline goal for each stat on what I expected of myself. I did this for average, homeruns, errors, and stolen bases. Here I’ll explain how this can indirectly help your game.


            Baseball players are typically judged by their stats. So if you came to this blog wanting to become a better baseball player, chances are you’re going to have to improve your stats. Every season you want to try and improve, even if it’s just a little bit, in all aspects of your game. If you’re pretty new to the game and you need an average baseline to start out with, here is where I would put average players: average: .250   homeruns: (probably none unless you’re on varsity baseball or higher) 1-2   errors: no more than 5    stolen bases: 7    I believe that these numbers can give you a solid starting point so you know where you should be at.

            These goals help me through the season by motivating me. If my goal for average was .250 then that means I should average 1 hit for every 4 at bats. So if you’re nearing the end of the game and you’re 0-3 so far, you really lock yourself in for that final at bat because you know you need to get a hit to maintain your goal average. Also, when you set those goals as your baseline, it’ll really help you feel that wave of accomplishment at the end of the season if you achieved your goal or even surpassed it which is a greater feeling. On the other hand, if you failed to reach a certain goal, then it motivates you to work throughout the offseason so that next season you’ll be able to blow those goals away.

            Goals give you something to achieve for during a season so you’re not just going into it blind. They are great motivators and can help you achieve things that you never thought possible from yourself. Just remember that even if you don’t reach your goals, that is perfectly fine as long as you use that feeling of disappointment as fuel to work as hard as you can during the offseason so you can reach those goals that you set. Thank you for reading, it is very much appreciated, and be sure to check out my other posts for ways to improve your overall baseball game.


-Brandon

No comments:

Post a Comment